What’s wrong with bosses? I’ve heard the question asked in many different ways. How can they be so clueless or manipulative or thoughtless or controlling or easily influenced by the wrong people or downright mean … or just plain stupid?
Over the years, I’ve written a lot about bosses … especially about the most annoying ones. Just some of the basic underlying weaknesses:
- No idea how to manage people.
- Busy trying to do everyone else’s work.
- Don’t know how to trust. Or trust too easily.
- Mind is elsewhere, such as hobbies, personal things, or areas of work that matter least.
- No idea how to delegate well. Or they delegate so much they have no idea what’s really going on.
- And some are oblivious to the very real human needs of their staff — needs that can increase productivity and retention far more than a new work process or “motivational” goal.
And here are some previous posts about our … uh … less wonderful bosses if you’re curious. (Scroll down for more … including the role WE may play in all of it.)
Bosses are people too
Even good bosses can drive us crazy at times. So why is it so hard to find a truly wonderful boss? [Read more…]