I hear it all the time. “My job is making me crazy!” “I have a boss who drives me nuts!” Plus all kinds of things about the most annoying coworkers you can imagine. And I do have articles with tips that might help. But sometimes, you just need a safe space to talk about what you’re really feeling. Especially when you need to vent about what’s going on at work.
So that’s why I’m writing this. For you. So you can share what’s really driving you crazy at your job. And, as others add their comments, to see what other people are going through. Especially if, for whatever reason, you can’t leave your job yet. Sometimes just knowing we’re not alone can really help!
Some reasons you tell me “my job is making me crazy”
I’ve been a coach and career blogger for many years. During that time, I’ve heard all kinds of reasons why people are so miserable at work. Hoping it might help you, here are some their mini stories:
- I feel invisible, even though I know I’m doing a good job. But no one seems to notice or appreciate my efforts.
- No one takes responsibility around here. Why am I the only one that sees the problems?
- My boss screams at me all the time. But when I try to tell him why he’s wrong, he gets even madder!
- Some of my coworkers are always trying to make each other look bad. And I get caught in the middle when they ask me to take sides.
- I just feel so miserable all the time. Nothing I do seems to matter. And my boss doesn’t notice anything I do.
- My boss plays favorites. Just because I’m not willing to brown-nose him, I get left out of the more interesting assignments.
- I’ve been doing the same boring work for what seems like forever. And I don’t see any way out of this if I stay here.
- Everyone else seems to get promoted and rewarded in some way. But even though I work hard (harder than most), make all my deadlines, and get decent reviews, I don’t get to advance in the company.
Do any of those sound familiar?
What else is making you crazy?
In most cases, when a job feels awful, it’s because of a few different things:
- You don’t feel like a vital & appreciated part of the company’s mission.
- Either you’re not getting enough money / rewards or there doesn’t seem to be any way to advance that will get you that.
- Your connection to your boss and coworkers is limited.
- You’re not getting to use your best skills and talents.
- Too many days of doing the same thing without any more interesting stuff to shake it up.
So, if you say “my job is making me crazy”, what exactly does that mean for you? And what kinds of things might help change the way you feel about work right where you are?
I’d love to read your thoughts, personal stories (anonymously), and / or anything else that will help you feel better — even if only until you can get to a job you actually like. Or, until you can find a way to make THIS one better!
More articles that offer ideas to help